Even though I'm sad to see the warm days of summer behind us, I'm definitely excited that it's fall weather and soup season again.
I love homemade soups and I could really eat soup for a meal every day.
This turkey potato chowder is a great recipe because you can customize it with other vegetables that you have on hand and using the thick slices of a good quality deli turkey makes it easy to put together.
Try it out and let me know what you think!
2 tablespoons grape seed or vegetable oil
3 pieces thick cut 1/2 inch slices of smoked deli turkey, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 pieces of cooked chopped bacon & 2 T bacon grease.
1 Videla onion, cut into 1/2 inch dice
4 medium yellow potatoes medium diced, approximately one-inch squares (about 3 cups of potatoes)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1medium red bell pepper, &1 orange or yellow, bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
32 oz. chicken broth
28 oz can fire roasted chopped tomatoes
4 oz. canned chopped green chili peppers
2 chopped scallions and 1 extra chopped scallion for garnish
1 bay leaf
Juice of 1 lime and an extra 1/2 lime for serving
2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of oregano
2 teaspoon salt & pepper (plus more to taste )
1. Heat grape seed oil & bacon grease over medium heart in a soup pot. Add onions and red bell pepper I and sweat them over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes the onions are translucent.
2. Add in the turkey, scallions, corn, bacon, and garlic and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
3. Mix in the dry spices to the turkey and vegetable mixture and let them toast for 1-2 minutes before adding the potatoes, tomatoes, chopped chilis, bay leaf, cilantro, lime juice, and chicken broth.
4. Bring up to a boil and then turn down to simmer.
5. Cover the chowder and simmer for about 35-40 minutes until the potatoes are soft and the flavors have cooked together.
(Remember to taste the chowder and season with more salt and pepper if necessary.)
6.. Serve with chopped scallion, a squeeze of lime juice , and garlic bread.